Tuesday, March 13, 2012

NASTY COLD........NEED CHICKEN SOUP!

The weather has been absolutely beautiful today and all week it is suppose to hit the 70's. What a time to catch a cold. My head is stuffed, I have a slight cough, which I hope stays slight. All I want is to cuddle up with some chicken soup, even though I am a vegan I don't eat the chicken. I know that sounds a bit hypocritocal but it really is the only thing that helps my cold.

Here is a great recipe I have used before from CHATELAINE MAGAZINE for FRENCH COUNTRY CHICKEN SOUP. I just wish I didn't have to make it myself.


FRENCH COUNTRY CHICKEN SOUP





Cooking time 3 minutes
Preparation time 10 minutes
Makes 10 cups (2.5 L)


Ingredients
6 bone-in chicken thighs or 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
2 900-mL cartons chicken broth or 8 cups (2 L) chicken bouillon
1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon
2 tsp (10 mL) dried tarragon
1/2 tsp (2 mL) each ground nutmeg and white pepper
6 baby potatoes
4 carrots
2 celery stalks
3 leeks



-Discard skin from chicken and trim any fat. Pour broth into bowl of slow cooker. Whisk in Dijon and seasonings.

-Add chicken. Cut potatoes, carrots and celery into thick chunky pieces and add.

-Slice off and discard tough dark-green tops of leeks, then slice leeks in half lengthwise. Separate outer leaves and rinse under running water to remove grit. Slice into thick pieces, then stir in.

-Cover and cook until chicken is tender and cooked through, 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Remove chicken to a cutting board. Remove meat from bones, then cut chicken into chunky pieces. Stir into soup. Marvellous with thick slices of baguette for dunking. Soup will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.

Don't wait until you have a cold try this delicious soup anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment