Wednesday, March 28, 2012

LILAC DREAMS


I adore Lilacs. When I was little, my grandparents bought an old farm that had a lot of Lilac bushes of every colour. In the spring the smell was like heaven. We picked armfulls of them and put them all over the house.


I would surprise my Grandmother with a bunch of them on a tray with her coffee and toast on Sunday mornings.




Living in the country it is such a joy in the spring to see the Lilac bushes tumbling over fences or just sitting proudly in a yard or by the roadside. The colours are so beautiful. Every shade of purple, mauve, white and pink.



Is there anything prettier on a spring day than a vase of lilacs on your table. The story of the Lilac is as lovely as the flower itself.

In Greek Mythology the beautiful nymph Syringa ( the botanical name of the lilac) was in the woods one day when she was spotted by Pan. He was so captivated by her beauty that he chased her. She became frightened and turned herself into an aromatic flowering bush, the Lilac.



I adore the deep purple Lilacs. The purple shades mean emotions of love while the white shades are for innocence.

Whatever the colour Lilacs have always meant Spring to me. They signal it is time to open the windows and let that delicous smell wash over the house.


Images from PINTEREST.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. I didnt know those were called lilacs. I'm not really a gardening type but would like to learn. I like the light lavender ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all these picture of the lilacs. Lilacs were my Grandma's favorite flower ... and we always had a lilac bush growing up ... we didn't live in the country, just on the border of New York City, but we had a big yard with a vegetable garden, rose garden, grape vine, apple tree, pine trees, all kinds of berry bushes and tons of other flowers. My dad loved to garden and I just don't know how he found the time.

    Happiness to all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so pretty, and when you see them close up the detail is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete